Saturday, September 29, 2007

Another Exploring Day

Ok, so here's another one, since I don't have much to do at the moment...haha. Yesterday, Janelle and I went to buy our step dancing shoes, so we wandered over to the city center. After we purchased them, Janelle went home, because, yes, she is STILL sick :( I, however, decided that while I was already over here, I would do some more wandering around the city. My Irish Traditional Music instructor had told me about a tiny little shop called the Living Tradition, which sells any kind of Celtic music cd you could want and also sheet music, so I decided to find the place. It didn't take me too long, and when I went in, I saw that she was right. So many cds of fantastic music, but, I didn't buy any because I figure I'll go back another time. There were several harp music books that I wanted too, and a BEAUTIFUL small harp, one that you can hold on your lap. It looked like one of the harps you see in pictures during the medeval times, made of oak wood and wire strung. I didn't play it, because I wasn't sure if this store was a place where you can only look and not touch, but I definitely would love to purchase one of those some day, because it's a lot more portable than my other harp...haha.

When I left the shop, I headed back into the main part of the city, and on the way I passed a hotel where there is a small waterfall in the back of the outside of it, so the hotel restaurant has guests eating right by the waterfall, which was really neat. I don't know if you can see it well in the picture, but oh well.

My purpose in continuing in a certain direction was to find St. Finnbar's Cathedral. My spelling might be off on that, but it's a really famous cathedral that I had seen the steeple of way in the distance, but I wanted to find it. On my way there, however, I passed by Tuckey Street, where a sign caught my eye that said Christian Bookstore, and I remembered that our gardner, John, had mentioned that he was great friends or the family of the people who owned that shop and had wanted me to go inside and tell them "hi" for him. So, I went in. There was an older, balding man in the back of the shop, so I went over to him and asked him if he knew a man named John Beagly. He smiled and said that yes he did, and when I explained about how I knew him and that John had wanted me to tell them hello, he was very happy. He apparently has been to Grants Pass ten or so years ago and loved it. He mentioned the Rogue River and how beautiful it was there. He also said that it's pretty rare to meet Grants Pass people in Cork. He told me that there is a Calvary Chapel in Cork, and gave me the email address of either the youth pastor or the pastor there, I can't remember, but now I can look into going there, since all the churches I have seen here so far are Catholic. After we talked a bit more, I left and continued toward the cathedral.

When I got there, I was really excited, because it's amazing. I didn't go in because it cost 3 euros, and I know I'll be back there with other people, so I just wandered around the outside. Here are some pictures of it.








Here is a convent I saw on the way back to the apartment after going to the cathedral. It's called "Convent of Mercy. St. Mary's of the Isle."


Ok, that's all for now, I'll write more later.

4 comments:

Janelle and Jennifer said...

Yay, you wrote again!

THE PICTURES ARE ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!

I hope Janelle gets better quickly...

Tell her we're all praying for her.

Calvary Chapel is a great church, Jennifer. We have one here in Grants Pass that Augusta and I went to a couple of times, and I went to the one in Costa Mesa...it's nice to have a charismatic evangelical church to go to!

Also, is that smaller harp a lute, or a lyre, or are they different?

See ya',

Ed

Janelle and Jennifer said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks so much for posting your adventures and pictures. They are brilliant!
One thing I would like to tell people who visit your blog. If they click on a picture, it enlarges it and you can see so much more detail! It is so cool! Therefore, I was able to see that waterfall you were talking about.
Hope Janelle gets better real soon.
Augusta

Janelle and Jennifer said...

;;;;

Janelle and Jennifer said...

hi